Monday, May 09, 2005

Getting back to what I want to do

Lately I've been doing so much of what I want to do that what I need to do is gathering dust in the corner. My blog, my emails, my CPA studying. I've spent so many years putting off what I want to do so that I could get to a place in my life when I could everything I want to do. The past two Saturdays I have volunteered, something I love. I raised money and walked in the March of Dimes WalkAmerica last Saturday. It was a lot of fun. We walked 5.5 miles in White Rock Lake park, a beautiful lake park only a few miles from my apartment. My sister walked as well, and since KPMG had quite a small showing, I ended up walking and talking with my sister the entire time. It was so great to spend quality time with her.
This past Saturday, I spent the entire day working on an old house in desperate need of serious repair. There are some terribly poverty stricken areas to the South and South-West of Dallas. I went with a small group from my 20-something fellowship and met up with a program that works on run-down houses every weekend. I think I may want to permanently join the group some day. I really love getting dirty and doing hard manual labor...I know its weird. I'm an auditor. I guess I need variety in my life. There's only so much binders, paper, memos, and analyticals I can handle in a week. I need variety to make me happy. I spent Saturday priming and painting a very old bathroom that had been wallpapered and painted many-many times before. It didn't look very good or professional, but it sure looked better than it did when I got there. I also had the wonderful experience of being hit on by a 17 year old! Yes, 17. This cute 17 year old boy was working on the house with his dad as well. Every time he passed the bathroom, he asked if he could help (as he flirtatiously smiled at me) I told him if he could find another paint brush he could help, while I thought to my self, "honey...honestly, I am so too old for you." Finally, very proud of himself he comes in and says, "found one." I put him to work and he immediately says "So, how old are you." I laughed and said "how old am I?" He says "yes". I said "25" He laughs and says "WOW" I said "why, what's wrong with that?" He says "you don't look 25" I say "Yeah, I get that a lot." Man, it's so not fair. A guy that cute would never have flirted with me when I was 17, and men that cute never flirt with me. Totally a shame. Oh well, I'll take all the complements I can get. I guess it's better to look 17 than 30.
Anyway, I love you all, take care of yourselves, you are all special to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home